As You might already know, my dear ladies and gentlemen, and others individuals too, I am no friend of the modern so-called Black Metal culture. It is a tasteless, low-brow parody of Norwegian so-called Black Metal anno 1991-1992, and if it was up to me it would meet its dishonourable end as soon as possible. However, rather than abandon my own music, only because others have soiled its name by claiming to have something in common with it, I will stick to it. The "black metallers" will probably continue to "get loaded", "get high", and in all other manners too behave like the stereotypical Negro; they will probably continue to get foreign tribal tattoos, dress, walk, talk, look and act like homosexuals, and so forth. Some of the "black metallers", their fans and accomplices will probably even continue to pretend - and actually believe - they have something in common with Burzum, but let me assure You; they don't! I play what can be described as some sort of metal music, all right, and they do too, but the similarities ends there. Freud wrote books. Tolkien wrote books. The similarities ends there.

Why more of Burzum? Well, I am what I am; a musician. Musicians produce music, when they can, and now I can; I am no longer imprisoned by the criminal anti-Norwegian regime in Norway. Will my music be any good? My guess is that if You like Burzum You like Burzum. If You don't You don't. I do try to change all the time, but most of the time I fail, and many appreciate that. Others don't.

The coming album is called "Den Hvite Guden" (The White God) and is a musical and lyrical description of the the White God (alias Apollon, Baldr, Belenus, Belus, Bragi, Byelobog, Jarilo, et cetera) and the annual events of his life. I describe the stories of the myths like they could have been before they were myths, by presenting to You bits and pieces of the sorcery and religion of ancient Europe (more elaborately described in my unpublished book "Trolldom og Religion i Oldtidens Skandinavia" [Sorcery and Religion in Ancient Scandinavia]). It is not intended for play the "low-brow metal" style, but instead I imagine a listener willing to sit down, ideally in solitude, and think for a minute, about the White God and our forebears, whether they were Picto-British, Finnish, Gallic, Greek, Roman, Scandinavian, Scytho-Slavic, Daco-Thrakian or whatever, and about their magnificent, intelligent, positive, beautiful, healthy and strong culture. I try to help You create an image of this with the help of Your own mind, by offering a few clues and guidelines. The album is political only in the way that it offers an alternative to the depravity offered to us by the intrusive popular culture and the commercial entertainment industry - and by modern so-called Black Metal, for that sake.

The début album was intentionally anti-commercial and anti-Death Metal, the "Det Som Engang Var" album was experimental, the "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" album was intentionally monotonous and ritual, the "Filosofem" album was intentionally different from the others, "Dauði Baldrs" was what I could do from a prison cell, and "Hliðskjálf" too, but they were all music that I liked. "Den Hvite Guden" will be no different in that respect, but I am older now, in fact twice as old as I was when I recorded the début album, and I am therefore different. The new album might differ from the old albums more than some might appreciate, but I hope not. Even if some of You might appreciate the old Burzum, I must be allowed to evolve, just like everybody else. Maybe You will like the new Burzum too. I will not do my best to copy and reproduce my old music, just to please somebody. I never did and I never will. If it sounds similar it is because it is made by the same person. If it sounds different it is because it is not the same music and because I have evolved.

I can add that just like on the other metal albums (with the exception of "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss") "Den Hvite Guden" features some very old Burzum tracks. "Filosofem" featured the "Burzum" track, from 1991, and "Den Hvite Guden" will feature the "Uruk-Hai" track, from 1988-1989, although the title and the lyrics have been changed to fit the new concept. It will also feature the original "Dauði Baldrs" metal track, from 1993. In a sense this album too will not be "new material", but just a collection of previously unpublished tracks; some new, some old. If some think my composing skills have disappeared altogether, then at least there will be some gems for them too.

You can expect to see "The White God" around March-April (anno 2010), when he traditionally returns from the hidden world of shadows.

Respectfully,
Varg Vikernes
(14.11.2009)

Update: Depois de alguma polémica por parte de quem não compreendeu bem as coisas.
When I speak through www.burzum.org I always imagine that I speak only to Burzum fans. If not a Burzum fan, why would You visit this site? Judging from the response to the A Burzum Story: Part X - "The White God", this is not the case. Or maybe it is, in which case I have a whole lot of fans in the media.

When these apparent Burzum fans in the media report the news that Burzum will release another album, the reaction is kind of weird. Most of them have been honourable enough to both print the whole article, or at least most of it, and tell their readers where they got the news from. This is correct and lawful journalism, when dealing with copyrighted material. "Hurray" to You for that.

Apparently my comparing of black metallers with the stereotypical Negro and homosexuals is not taken lightly in "the real world". Because of my thoughtless remarks I am, according to them or their readers, both a vile racist and homophobic, and should ideally be stone to death for being intolerant. Naturally.

The problem is that my remarks aren't really homophobic. What I do is simply point at the obvious facts; some black metallers dress, walk, talk, look and act like stereotypical homosexuals. Both the black metallers in question and the stereotypical homosexuals obviously buy their clothes, their make-up and jewellery from the same "laces & leather" shops. They wear the same clothes, the same make-up and the same jewellery. So they do dress and look like the stereotypical homosexual. End of discussion.

The funny thing is that I never really stated if this was a bad thing or not. Maybe I in fact think dressing and looking "gay" is okay, but perhaps not for black metallers, who think of themselves and try to present themselves as some sort of "dark warriors"? Who can tell? I surely never said anything about that in my article. So, when readers of my words react so strongly it is because they are homophobic: they obviously think that dressing and looking like homosexuals is a bad thing. Maybe they should take a look in the mirror and think for a minute before they start attacking me for being homophobic?

When it comes to the "racist remark" I can only apologize to You all. I obviously live in a different world, where one can discuss ones perception of reality without any fear of harassment; a world of tolerance and respect, a world of intellectual debate and honesty. Some of You apparently don't, so when I speak I must be careful. I must say, though, that if You don't like what I say to my fans on www.burzum.org then please don't read or refer to my articles. It's a free world, and You are free not to read my articles. I want to point out that my so called "racist remark" was actually not intended to be racist or to offend anyone but the black metallers in question, whom I happen to know have indeed some strong views and opinions. It was purely meant to draw attention to how some black metal artists are more and more acting and living a lifestyle like the individuals they at least in private claim to despise.

When it comes to the title of the next album, "The White God", this has nothing to do with "race" or "skin colour" or anything like that. Please stop this nonsense about "The White God" being a racist album. This album is about Baldr, known as "The White God", because he is a solar deity and because he is pale after spending time in the realm of the dead. I don't use the Baldr name because I want to speak to all the different cultures of Europe, and we all happen to have our own name for this deity. The British/Picts/Gaulls called him Belenus, the Greeks called him Apollon, the Romans Apollo, the Scytho-Slavs Byelobog, and so forth, and before that we all called him Belus. However, we all know him as the White God, and therefore I use this as the title for my album.

The next album is a description of a part of our culture that most of us have forgotten all about. I know this interest many of You, or at least many of the Burzum fans (as surely not all the readers of this are Burzum fans). Maybe You should wait and see for Yourselves, before You start "burning books", like some certain ignorant predecessors in history.

Thank You for the attention, and for being able to bring some colour to Your lives.

Respectfully,
Varg Vikernes
(19.11.2009)

Comments (3)

On 20 de novembro de 2009 às 11:21 , Timóteo de Azevedo disse...

a dica das tattoos tribais!!!

 
On 22 de novembro de 2009 às 01:34 , Anagrama Orgânico disse...

Sim, tão épico! :D

 
On 23 de novembro de 2009 às 15:37 , Timóteo de Azevedo disse...

O gajo deve ter ficado tocado pela revelação do vocals de Gorgoroth.